UK Jobs Board
Linux & Google Cloud Platform Administrator
Hayley Group is the largest independent distributor of Engineering Products and Consumables in the United Kingdom. The group currently employs over 900 people, who continue to be a cornerstone of the business and are fundamental to providing industry-leading customer service.
As a business they continue to grow, going from strength to strength, and establishing themselves as one of the UK’s leading players within the industrial supply industry. This enables them to provide the scale & depth of offer required to fulfil the largest and most complex of supply agreements.
With over 45 branches across the UK, Hayley Group continues to invest in their branch network, to ensure they operate close to their customers, providing access to the stock, services and technical personnel that their customers rely on to maintain operations.
We are looking for a suitably skilled and confident Linux and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) administrator to join a small team, managing and maintaining 80+ Linux systems (a mixture of hardware and VMs) and a multi-subnetted, multi-service, multi-project GCP operation. There will be great opportunity for the chosen candidate to further develop and expand their knowledge in these areas. The position is office based and will require you to work as part of an established department, regularly liaising with other technical and support personnel.
Job Title: Linux & Google Cloud Platform Administrator
Location: Hayley Group HQ, Shelah Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, B63 3PG
Working Hours: 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, plus in 1 in 4 Saturday mornings (Additional working hours may be required)
Main Duties & Responsibilities
* Day-to-day server maintenance
* Troubleshoot and debug OS and application issues
* Evaluate existing software configurations and seek to improve where possible
* Publish technical documents (via the in-house wiki) for future rebuild and restore of systems and services
* Ensuring systems are sufficiently security-patched and hardened
* Assist the team in publishing Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plans
* Providing user support via the helpdesk
* Work with the business to meet security certification requirements
Google Cloud Platform
* Routine management of:
* Virtual Machines (spinning up new instances, snapshotting, reviewing and maintaining security, storage expansion)
* Firewalls (including security reviews)
* Administration of GCP users and access levels
* Buckets maintenance and usage reviews
* Regular cost analysis
Skills & Requirements
Besides a strong, demonstrable proficiency in Linux, and a good foundational understanding of GCP (particularly surrounding Virtual Machine deployment), the successful candidate must also have experience with the following:
* Apache Web Server (and associated internet protocols: HTTP/HTTPS)
* Basic networking knowledge
* CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Linux package/repo management
* Linux scripting (POSIX/BaSH)
* Linux software firewalls
* MariaDB deployment
Familiarity with the following would also be advantageous:
Web Application Firewalls (WAF), git, SSO (particularly Red Hat Keycloak), OpenVPN Access Server
The ideal candidate will also possess good communication skills, able to manage an ever-changing workload and work as part of a team.
On offer is a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
To apply for this role please send your CV via this jobsite.
Please note that your CV will be forwarded to Hayley Group who will be in touch with you
Register your CV with our partner site cv-library and get noticed by potential employers.